Monday, December 8, 2014

Week 7: Letter to Judithe Hernandez

Dear Ms. Hernandez,

I'm writing to you in interest about your Adam and Eve series from 2010. I found the way you re-envisioned the biblical story to be visually stunning, as well as extremely relevant to current politics on female bodies.
The use of color made the figures stand out to me, not just for their structure, but because of the off-putting hues used as skin or hair. The color made the scenes discomforting feeling come alive to tell the more realistic story of Adam and Eve, especially Eve's role. I'm also interested in your frequent motifs of luchadora masks, snakes, and antlers. The image of the mask on a female face adds to the feeling that Eve (or the other women you draw) is silenced.
I found the imagery also reflects the news about rape or female birth control that has been present so often in the media. The government creates policies that either control what women put into their bodies, or make it difficult for women to feel safe in their everyday settings (such as universities), and I thought the women in the series seem to evoke that frustration and lack of control. They bring out the narrative to a common story that sets a historical precedent for women being blamed for violent experiences, while relating to the current issues that still reflect that Adam and Eve mentality. I have learned that many of your works reinvent classical renaissance figures, but I'm curious if you entered this series as a commentary on rape or female-blame.
I found the series, along with your other work extremely thought-provoking and look forward to seeing more in your future productions.

Sincerely,
Lilia Taboada

No comments:

Post a Comment