Thursday, December 11, 2014

Final Post

I really had a wonderful time in this class. I noticed that this was the only class that made me laugh almost every day. I enjoyed having lots of different mediums with which to interact with the material, and the informal nature of the assignments made me feel more relaxed and open. I felt like I got to know the histories and personalities of the class a lot more than I usually do in classes, and I really enjoyed hearing everyone's passion and opinions. I feel like it has been rare for me to be in a classroom full of people conscious of social justice, or even people having a general awareness of what's going and willing to speak on that awareness. Learning about everyone's views has been awesome!

I originally enrolled in this class because I knew I loved art, but knew very little about Chican@ history culture. I am from sleepy beach towns, and one of my main motivations for accepting enrollment at UCLA and moving to LA was to expand my awareness and open myself up to people of different backgrounds and cultures. I definitely feel like got a good introduction to Chican@ culture, and learned many new things. Reading people's blog posts, hearing their opinions and seeing their art also made this class feel like a more personal learning experience. So thank you everyone for sharing! It has been a great first quarter for me, and I wish everyone a great Winter quarter, too.

All the best,

Skylar

P.S. I'm sorry for putting a tarnish on Disney for some folks. If you are looking for a rebound, check out some Studio Ghibli movies! They are beautiful, conscious, and nostalgic even if you didn't grow up with them. I'd recommend Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, The Cat Returns, Totoro, or any of the others, really!

No comments:

Post a Comment