Friday, December 12, 2014

Final Post


Insane as it is, this is my final required World Arts and Cultures class. I am so happy that the department decided to make this a multidisciplinary course. In all of my four years in the major, I have yet to take a course that both incorporates and focuses on visual art and the practice of visual art. I so appreciated this course because it offered an outlet to tap back into this visual side of my expression. I felt that the assignments, while structured, left much room for personal narrative to shine through. I actually carried the journal around with me most places that I went, mainly so I could continue my hand drawings when I found down time. But I found myself relying on that journal for more than just the fulfilling structured assignments. I keep a journal, but only for the purposes of writing; I usually write in it at night in bed. It was such a different experience to have a tangible space to not only express myself in word form, but in visual form as well. Scrolling through the journal now, there are many parallels between my entries, similarities in thought throughout the quarter. There is something incredibly powerful about being able to revisit these entries, to revisit these thoughts. Because the quarter system functions like a bullet train, I rarely take time to reflect on the ten week process. I so appreciate that this class provided the space for that reflection. I also appreciate that conversations throughout the course challenged me to rethink about notions of identity as potentially limiting versus empowering.

No comments:

Post a Comment