Saturday, December 13, 2014

final thoughts

I loved this class and learned so much from our discussion and presentations. In fact, our discussions and even debates were probably my favorite part of class because we were able to engage in and with the work and respective artists. Additionally, I loved looking at and learning about the artwork. It was a real treat having time to look and reflect on artwork that was made by Chicanas. We also had time to think about history, and its production, identity and Chicana women’s concerns, which is all too rare in the academy. All of these things I relished! Additionally, our discussions pushed me to think about Chicana theory and subjectivity more closely. They propelled me to analyze and apply theories and ideas by Gloria AnzaldĂșa and others. As such, our discussions have helped and overlapped with my other seminars, adding depth to my lens and reach.  

There are several artists whose work blew me away (for better or worse)! Some of them were Laura Aguilar, Shizu Salamando, Delilah Montoya, Sandra de la Loza and others, but Carlee Fernandez is the one. What I mean by that is that I see Fernandez as a problematic artist, but one I will continue to think, talk and write about. Her position on her ontological process is very curious to me, and eventually, I’d love to write to her and interview her for my research. But if it wasn’t for this class, I might not have known about her, I wouldn’t have participated in the rich discussions we had and those discussions wouldn’t have informed my research interests in other seminars. I have to say thanks for that! This class was great!


No comments:

Post a Comment