Thursday, December 11, 2014

Final Words

     For three years I have been trying to get into some sort of art class, or an art club that was open for non-art majors. You all do not know how happy I was to finally be take part of such a great course. I was not sure of what to expect the first few weeks, even after reading the syllabus. I just knew that we would be having a sketchbook project that we were required to draw/paint in every week. Other than this, I didn’t know really what to expect besides learning about Chicana artists.
     Although we have been educated on the “Chicana” term, I still feel I am not educated enough to truly consider myself a Chicana. Despite this, the class inspired me to continue drawing and coloring. It was my sanctuary during these past ten weeks. And, I plan on purchasing some Chicana paintings in the future.

     The many different mediums used by these Chicana artists (and artists in general) simply amazed me. I didn’t know that many ventured out into anything other than one. I have no idea what that idea stuck. I learned that in order to understand the art, you have to know the artist’s background information. I never thought about this either. You obviously can’t judge someone’s creation based on the creation itself. The history always played a key role. In all, I really enjoyed this class so much. It was by far the best class I’ve have here at UCLA. There was never a day I didn’t smile, or laugh. Prof. Lopez, thank you for being such a knowledgeable instructor. We were so lucky to have you teach us about Chicana art and artists!

No comments:

Post a Comment