Thursday, December 11, 2014

Last Post

I really enjoyed the discussions in class on the conceptualization of the Chicana identity and the different types of art produced by Chicana artists. I consider myself a Chicana yet I admit that I was not aware of the variation and number of Chicana artists that are producing art today. It was interesting to explore the differences in their store, art and experiences throughout the readings and presentations. Sketching in the book helped me distress throughout this quarter and explore my creative side more. I had taken a few art classes in the past both appreciative and drawing and project based but unfortunately I never produced anything large outside of my time in these courses. I learned a lot about myself and about my peer's experiences and views. I previously knew nothing about Sor Juana, Tonantzin or La Malinche's full story. It raised my interests and look forward to doing my own research on them. I was very shocked by the research Professor Alma Lopez conducted on the validity of the Apparition story. Coming from a Catholic family upbringing I was raised believing in the religious story and praying to La Virgen, but I find it to be very interesting to seek evidence and truth in something that is so widely preached as a fact. I also enjoyed my peer's presentation of their journal sketches and stencils as they shared bits and pieces of their personalities. 

I really enjoyed reading Homegrown by bell hooks and Amelia Mesa-Bain. Their cultural discussions were very insightful and I found a lot of comfort and made many connections to their own stories. 

Being a Chicana myself I never put much thought into the differences that a Chicana can embody. Coming from a small town and moving to Los Angeles has really opened my eyes to the different and endless possibilities of what it makes up the various other facets of a Chicana's identity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment