Saturday, December 13, 2014

something I connected to in the course

This course was a lot of fun I loved mixing learning with art. I've always like art was never able to take an art class in college. This class was a good elective to express my itch for art. I loved getting to learn about all the Chicano/a artists and how they each had their own way to express who they are. From Laura Aguilar barring every inch of her body and soul for her photographic art form to Marion Martinez who repurposes old computer parts for her art. This course made me think of my own connection to being Chicana. I am proud of who I am and what I represent and what I learned from these artists is that you don't have to paint Frida or the Virgin to show you practice Chicano art. Art is whatever you connect to and want to express that is what makes it so beautiful. I also loved drawing in my moleskin I plan on keeping up with it even after the course. I was never taught in the aspect of drawing so practicing drawing in this class was nice. I grew up painting and learning another medium was awesome for me. I really enjoyed this class and hope they keep offering it.

The painting below is one of my personal pieces I've done with oil I thought it was a fun mix of my culture and what I like, a Dia De Los Muertos Hello Kitty :) 


1 comment:

  1. I love your oil painting! I'm willing to buy the original :) or have a copy. No pressure. I'm a big hello kitty fan! Have you been to the Hello Kitty museum exhibition in Little Tokyo? The tickets are $20 and it will run until April 2015. I love how Hello Kitty is versatile and iconic. The way you used her image is amazing. Mixing what we love reminds me of the mixing of cultures, in the case of this picture it is Mexican and Japanese culture. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete