Saturday, December 13, 2014

Week 10: Final Words

This is my first time taking a class that merges discussion, history, art, and art making. This class served as a wonderful transition into UCLA for me for two reasons: 1. I began to connect with aspects of my life that I had often been to afraid or naive to embrace and that in turn began influencing work that I made this quarter in my studio art classes 2. the structure of the class allowed me to take steps towards joining more readily the conversation(s) of art, politics, and identity, which I feel are (at least for me) cornerstones of the university experience.
In all honesty I took this class because History of Korean Painting filled up during my first pass, but there was room here for me. It wasn't my first choice but it definitely was the best choice! I enjoyed listening and engaging with my classmates and teaching each other and being taught about Chicana artists (and art in general), while addressing the question of what is a Chican@. This multi-purposeful approach enriched my experience throughout the quarter. My classmates were all wonderful. Everyone was energetic about many of the topics that we discussed and we were all supportive of each other and coming from a community college in the desert, this was a startling revelation--this is why I feel this class was very transitory. In community college a sense of community was lacking. Most of the classes were set up so that we had to worry about the assignments more than the subject matter, so this class was a wonderful entree because it gave me a sense of what both my studio art classes and academic courses would offer in terms of nourishment.
Overall I had a great time and I'd like to thank my classmates and the profesora for all you have done.
#lookingforwardtothespringclass

No comments:

Post a Comment