Saturday, December 13, 2014

What I learned - Final Post

First off, I was pleasantly surprised with how much we actually got to create images in this course. I have taken a number of art classes before, but this one has by far been one of the best ones I've been a part of. Not only did we get to learn about the context in which artist creates but we also received a better understanding of what defines or doesn't define a Chicana Artist. I would assert that I learned more in depth about the complexities of identity and how they are tied to art and politics. It is a realm that I was previously unaware of and hoped to learn more about. Going in not being able to identify a single Chicana artist, to ten weeks later being extremely interested in the works of legends like Carmen Lomas Garza, as well as future works by our own class mates like Kaelyn Rodriguez, is the biggest development that I can walk away with. This class has opened up my eyes to the variety of social identities, political ideologies, and technical forms of expression that women of color express through their artistic lenses. I walk away with not only a palpable knowledge of what has historically constituted Chicana Art, but also a growing interest in the future development and contribution into the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment