Friday, October 30, 2015

My Stencil Design

For my stencil, I created a cat, half moon, and ghost image. It was important for me to free hand my stencil because I wanted to stay with the theme of creating my own "art". I find that these images are constant symbols in my life. I've had several cats come in and out my life and they always seem to bring about a strange atmosphere. I used to have pet cats but they always seemed to run away or escape and the only cats that would remain in my life would be the stray cats around my home that were waiting for food. The red cat symbolizes my need for control. Although I do not consider myself as controlling, there are certain elements in my life that I try to cling onto. However, just like my cats, I can only have my object of desire when I do not try to possess it. I cannot force anything or anyone to stay with me so all I can do is nourish and care for that thing or person and be grateful for what I am given.
The moon is important to me because I know that no matter where I am, my loved ones are under the same moon. I have had moments while at UCLA, when I miss my friends and family but it helps to look at the moon and know that it looks exactly the same in East LA as it does in West LA.
The ghost represents mystery and cultural identity. As a Chicana, stories and images of ghosts were entrenched in my life. To truly contemplate what happens to us when we die is quite terrifying and several ancient cultures have explained the afterlife through supernatural forces. However, to quote my mom, "no me preocupo de los espantos, yo me preocupo por la gente real" (I don't worry about ghosts, I am worried about actual people). Ultimately, we should focus on what's going on with our lives right now.
These images have a lot of meaning to me but I have made them more animated to soften their eeriness. Also, it is almost Halloween so they look like innocent decorations.

No comments:

Post a Comment