Saturday, October 24, 2015

Laura Alvarez: "Shoot Back Behind My Back"



It was a great pleasure to learn about Visual and Recording Artist Laura Alvarez. After hearing about the detailed story behind the Double Agent Sirvienta, I decided to further research her work particularly the pieces that depict DAS in it. In my opinion, her Art appeals to me because of how she incorporates various art methods into her work. I am also really fascinated by the concept she created by DAS, I think it's really great that she found a way to empower Chicana women. It was definitely hard to pick but my favorite piece by her is the "Shoot Back Behind My Back" print work. This print is my absolute favorite because it is part of a bigger project which involves other artists as well. Each artist was supposed to depict a scary bed time story through their art. Alvarez chose to do it on the legend of sleepy hallow by using Clown Taco and Double Agent Sirvienta. Although pop colors aren't used, I feel that it isn't needed to attract an audience to this particular work. It is a unique piece which tells the story very easily. When comparing Laura Alvarez's work to Yolanda Lopez I see one major similarity and this is how they both empower Chicana women through their visual art. In this piece specifically she shows that DAS is courageous and strong enough to face the sleepy hallow or in this case "Clown Taco" by her self. In my personal opinion, she was able to combine a scary bed time tale with a subliminal message. For me, this subliminal message was that women are strong enough to face any battle by themselves. Although this may not be the message around the work it is my depiction of it. Her work really defines the concept of "Chicana Art".

No comments:

Post a Comment