Saturday, October 31, 2015

Stencil Design

For my art book cover, I chose to make a stencil of "Vault Boy" from the video game franchise Fallout. I printed the image out and then taped it onto one half of a manila folder. I then just traced out the design using my trusty X-Acto knife. It was difficult at times because I had to cut out some pretty tiny lines! 
In the game, vault boy is symbolic of guidance and is practically on everything that helps you. He also represents the nuclear destruction of the world in the game in a comedic way. The reason why he is putting his thumb up and closing one eye is because if an atomic bomb drops and the mushroom cloud is bigger than your thumb you are supposed to run away, but you are basically dead because you can't outrun an atomic bomb. The reason why I chose this picture is because I see it as a representation of the bond I have between my brothers and my passion for gaming and the arts. I would play Fallout all the time with my brothers and still do to this day! I someday would love to be an animator or storyboard artist and video games helped me realize what I wanted to do, especially Fallout. I also love the style of the character as it reminds me of the older cartoon styles from the 1940s and 1950s.
I have yet to apply the stencil onto my art book, but once I get the right colors I will apply it on. I am worried that the lines are too thin and the stencil will rip as soon as I cover it with paint. I am very anxious to see how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment