Saturday, October 31, 2015

Week 5 - Calla Lily Stencil

I dedicated this week's assignment to my mother. Previous to choosing  this image for the stencil project, I was set upon stenciling another image of a woman donning eighties apparel, in representation of my love for anything '80s. However that image was difficult to work with, and decided upon doing a stencil about a person very close to my heart.

The stencil is of a Calla Lily flower, and was present throughout my mother's childhood. She associates these flowers to joyous childhood experiences in Mexico. My mom remembers her visits to her grandmother's house, which had a garden filled with Calla Lilies. She recalls playing among them, but most of all recollects the talks she held with her abuela (Spanish for "grandmother") in that garden.

Consequently, Calla Lilies grow in the backyard of my home. My mother nurtures and cares for them, treating the flowers as a member of our family. I think that she sees her grandma in the flowers. Her visits with her grandma have been reduced, thus she seeks comfort in the lilies, looking for the presence of the abuela among them.

I, in turn also see my great-grandmother in the lilies. I have not had the opportunity to meet her. But judging from the flowers, I think that she is a strong, beautiful woman. I see my mother in the flowers too. Every time I see a Calla Lily in other people's homes I think of her. My mother is a strong, beautiful woman as well, always working hard and caring for her family.

I drew the stem and bottom portion of the flower, needing Google to help me with the upper part of the flower. I am satisfied with my results, although the I could have painted the stencil a little more carefully. The flower is painted white in honor of my mother's childhood. The color represents her innocence when she was a child, during which her only concerns were to go to school and be a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment