Friday, October 30, 2015

Birds-Free Spirit

For our art project this week, I decided to create an image of birds on my stencil. My name Azadeh and, from Persian to English, translates to “free spirit”. I felt that birds are an accurate representation of the meaning of my name. This is so, because birds the epitome of freedom; they may spread their wings and fly whenever they desire. They are not constrained by societal forces, and just can live simplistic lives. My favorite birds are doves, so I chose white to paint them. My name accurately represents the way I choose to live my life.

 In addition, my father chose my name when he was only twenty years old.  Through out his young adult life, he dreamt to have a girl and name her Azadeh.  My name is more than something people call me; it symbolizes the love my father has for me. My name is extremely important to me, and I believe birds are the symbol to the meaning of my name

I had a bit of trouble creating the stencil, the paint leaked through my stencil so the lines were not as clean as I hoped for, however I was content with the final product. My stencil consists on a bigger bird flying towards a flock of birds.


2 comments:

  1. I really like your design! Moreover, I relate to your story, and how your father chose your name. My dad also chose my name, Ebony, eventually influencing my mom to name me that. In addition, I like how you incorporated your familial history into your artwork, and it is amazing that it was able to influence you to create something amazing. It reminds me of how Yolanda M. Lopez and Carmen Lomas Garza, and the Chicana artist I presented on, Cristina Cardenas, incorporated their personal experiences and their family in their artwork.

    ReplyDelete