Monday, November 9, 2015

Barbara Carrasco

The image I found most interesting from the artist presented this week was Milk the Pass by artist Barbara Carrasco. The image is of a milky white girl stuck from a bottle of milk. There is heat coming from her mouth and a jalapeno on the bottom of image. As our classmate stated during her presentation Carrasco was the black sheep of her family because she has green eyes and lighter skin compared to her family. Because of her physical appearance she wasn't considered a real Mexican, she didn't fit the stereotypical image of a "Mexican". Carrasco's grandfather told her that if she could eat a jalapeno she would be a true Mexican. The image shows Carrasco after eaten the jalapeno and how she would drink milk afterwards to help with the spiciness. I chose this image because I am able to relate to Carrasco and the way she doesn't relate to the stereotypical image of being a Mexican. I also am a black sheep of my family, by my physical appearance and by my ideals and beliefs. I was also not considered Latina because I'm not able to eat spicy foods like other Latinos/Latinas. This artist is similar to Yolanda Lopez because they are both feminists and have similar ideas about their inspirations for their art. She is also similar to Carmen Lomas Garza in which she incorporates experiences from her childhood and family aspects within their art.

1 comment:

  1. I found this piece very comical as well! I admire that Carrasco can poke fun at herself and create this numerous painting.

    ReplyDelete