Sunday, November 8, 2015

Chicana Art Exhibition: Dia De Los Muertos in Riverside, CA

I attended the Riverside, CA: Dia de Los Muertos event because not only was I in town, but also because the people of Riverside unites for the festivities that the city organizes and I like to participate in as many events as I can.
I missed an in class assignment and I wanted to make up those participation points.
The image above was the first piece of the event. It was a female and a male skeletal of los dis de los muertos.
As I continued along the event, I saw a lot of memorials set up by the family's of the lost ones.


There were a lot of set ups like these. These were stands of family's late family members. They also included candles and essences. These memorials had lots of decorations and lots of stories to go along with the post of individual's family members.
 I had never been to an event such as this one. The people who attended this event had posts for their family member's or art that was for the audience. It felt so beautiful to find that family member's attend events like these to remember the deceased and continue traditions for the new generations to come. By continuing these traditions, newer generations will continue to see the importance of carrying on this tradition to pay respects for those who we have lost.

1 comment:

  1. These altars are beautiful! I also attended a Dia De Los Muertos this weekend in Santa Ana, but it was too late notice to post when I found out. Similarly, I felt the altares were very personal, yet I could feel the message the creators were trying to show the viewers.

    ReplyDelete