Saturday, November 7, 2015

Carmen Lomas Garza

Barbacoa para Cumpleańos
Piñata Party

The image by Carmen Lomas Garza that I chose to discuss this week is Barbacoa para Cumpleańos. I chose this piece mainly because I know that it is very close to my family and most likely many other Mexican/Chicano families. The familiarity of one of the family members on one end holding the rope for the piñata reminds me of how my family members would climb on the roof and trees just to hold up a piñata so the kids could enjoy and how afraid I was for my dad when he was up there. This image reflects Carmen Lomas Garza's ability to retell the experiences of many families and the cultures that reside within them. Many times, people of color's stories remain either untold or ignored but images like this and others by Carmen shine light on them and remind people of their roots or bring to attention the backgrounds and cultures of other people. The importance of family and get-togethers in Chicano communities is reflected as well. I become so aware that my experiences are shared with many other people and I am not alone, regardless of how different or alone I may feel sometimes. I believe that is one of the greatest outcomes and intentions of Carmen Lomas Garza's artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment