Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Image from Presentations

Milk the Pass, 1990
Acrylic on canvas


It has been very interesting to learn about a numerous of Chicana artists through the presentations given by my fellow classmates. The image titled “Milk the Pass” by Barbara Carrasco stood out to me as I can relate to it to a certain extent. I too, am a light skinned Chicana like Barbara. This image, as described by the presenter shows Barbara in a milk gallon with steam coming out of her mouth as a result of eating a jalapeno. She did this to prove that she was a Mexican American because she was consistently challenged of her ethnic identity. Often times people don’t think I am Mexican American and typically respond with something along the lines of “you don’t like the rest” when I tell them I am. To say that all people from an ethnic group look the same is a false assumption and I can understand Barbara’s struggle. At the same time, however, I also have acknowledged the upper hand I have often received because I can “pass” as white.

No comments:

Post a Comment