Saturday, November 7, 2015

La Malinche

In the fall of 1992, Garza created a three-part, multi-gallery installation for the Smith College Museum of Art, called Homenaje a Tenochtitlán: An Installation for the Day of the Dead. Garza showcases several images of influential figures in her life, in one of the rooms, La Malinche, the Virgin of Guadalupe, her grandmother, and two of her friends. The installation is decorated of a table decorated with papel picado, flowers, cavaleras, candles, and doilies, are framed images. By placing three influential people in her life together, Garza comments on the importance of family and loved ones in the community. 
I find this piece interesting because Garza expressed can relate to La Malinche, and comments, “ I as a Chicana, and a lot of Chicanas, see ourselves in certain ways as Malinches, in that we are liaisons between two groups of people.” (76). Garza can relate to La Malinche because activist Chicana art can appear “ anti-Mexican”; therefore, many Chicana’s are seen traitors to their country. However, Garza embraces that her work is unique and different, but that is completely acceptable. Garza empathetic perception of La Malinche is demonstrated through her placement on the altar, directly in the middle. The art she produces can get negative reviews from antifeminists, but negative words do not stop her drive to make a difference in the world. 
In my own life, I have noticed that the majority of my decisions are to benefit other people and not myself, because I do not want to anger others. I look at Lomas Garza as a role model to not solely care about what others think, but to do activities that please me. And if I offend others, that alright because at least I was true to my beliefs.


No comments:

Post a Comment