Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Week 7: Presentations / Delilah Montoya

One of the images from last week’s presentations was the Trail of Thirst by Delilah Montoya. Upon research, I found out that Sed: The Trail of Thirst was an instillation in which she collaborated with Orlando Lara. The installation brought to light issues that migrants face along the United States and Mexico border, specifically the Arizona Sonora desert. Moreover, it emphasizes the thirst for water that the migrants experience although the installation also includes objects left behind by the migrants such as identification cards, mismatched shoes, religious items, and more. According to the artist’s statement, the installation “honors the courage of the migrant experience and those who have sought to provide the migrants with aid by establishing the controversial mini-oases scattered throughout the region.”


I found this image/installation interesting because it really resonated with me due to my family’s experiences. Both of my parents crossed the border on two different occasions over twenty years ago. As much as it pains me to hear their stories, I also love listening to them. Their stories keep me grounded and aware of the sacrifices people make for themselves and their families. I feel listening to their narratives about crossing the border is so important to me because each time we talk about it, a new detail comes up, or a new memory that I haven’t heard before. It is because of them that my siblings and I…are.

No comments:

Post a Comment