Saturday, November 14, 2015

Week 7 Presentations

My favorite artist that we have discussed thus far is Laura Aguilar. I deeply resonated with her focus on nature and the body; not only did this combination inspire me to think about the way we do or do not appreciate ourselves, but it also produced incredibly beautiful photographs.

In the most striking photo we viewed, she lays on her side next to a small pond with her belly beautifully strewn in front of her. At first, I was surprised by this image: It is rare that we see such an unashamed exhibition of a large female body that is not sexualized, made fun of, or degraded. Instead, by placing herself in such a setting, the picture allows us to feel that this type of body is perfectly natural, just like the rocks that she lays beside. It does not need to be starved or changed: it is perfect exactly as it is.  


Listening to her commentary after the presentation also deepened my understanding of her work. She discussed the deep peacefulness and satisfaction she gains by being outside, and the way she refers back to them as reminders in moments of pain. This sense of safety and love is very present in her photographs. In fact, they make me feel this way too. It was hard to hear about her depression, because I wish I could tell her how moving and necessary her pictures are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment