Saturday, November 14, 2015

Artist: Laura Aguilar


Similarly to some of my other peers, I chose Laura Aguilar as my inspiring artist that I felt connected to. Her photographs were beautiful and mesmerizing and made me feel slightly uncomfortable all at the same time. Her vision demanded her audience to take a closer look at the human form and the natural state of it. The boldness and power of her, own, large, naked body initiated a dialogue of what it means to view a naked body that is not normally portrayed in media or art. Her work confronted a bias that we, as a society, have been conditioned to value a very specific type of beauty. I also appreciated the interview she did, naked, and brave enough to discuss her battle with depression and self worth. She literally transformed her own struggles and demons into a deep and meaningful series of self-portraits that have touched many lives. The thing that inspired me most about her, was that she was her own muse. I am a firm believer that everyone should be their own muse, as artists, lovers, friends, partners. We are our own greatest inspiration if we chose to find the magic within ourselves. Laura Aguilar did just that. And I respect her tremendously for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment