Friday, November 20, 2015

week 8

 Ester Hernandez's work Sun Mad would be one of my favorites this week because I took one look of it and all I would remember would be my grandfather giving me these little boxes or raisins and even the boy who had a crush on me in middle school would give me his because he knew how much I liked them. It funny but this box is my childhood and never did I think anything but good memories about it, it never crossed my mind that it hurt people, that it could even hurt me. It brings up the whole process, of the farmers who collect it and of the people who unknowingly put this in their bodies and worse , are confident enough to feed it to their children not knowing the toxicity. I also wonder why its titled Sun Mad, because it can allude to so many things like people can go mad or get mad. To me the difference is they can be going crazy for one making it and two eating it or they can be angry that this thing that causes harm is almost a sort of secret that no one bothers to say. Also if one thinks about what the original name is, it is Sun Maid, that would bring a whole other connotation to the mix that could allude to the more working aspect of the process and even bring out the stereotypes that Hispanics are the maids.

2 comments:

  1. I also associate this box of raisins to my childhood, and it is heartbreaking yet shows innocence. Children are not expose to the horrible things in this world such as the dangers of work as farmer. Their innocence is kept until they grow up and experience hardships, but its sad that companies take advantage of it. These companies would never expose parents, let alone children, to the negative aspects of the raisins rather they think about profit not people. I agree with your views on the title of this print, but I also see it as the sun being mad that these chemicals are hurting her earth and people. The sun is required to grow theses raisins, but the sun disapproves of the way her abilities have been manipulated. Thats just how I interpreted it. I also liked your comment about the stereotypes within the original name of the brand because I never seen it that way. I think this print has highlighted the importance of health and people, which is now mainstream through organic options and better policies for farmers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very surprising to find two people who associate this box of raisins to their childhood. I too share this. My family knows I like raisins, and I would eat these, but I do not think I like very much anymore. I am now conscious of the hardships people experience/experienced with the production of these raisins. I interpreted the title as the people going mad due to working all day under the scorching sun, causing them to become, well, mad, dizzy, exhausted, sick. That is maybe why the woman is a skeleton instead of a human being. I am very glad that artists take the time to point out injustices through their work, much like most, if not all Chicana artists attempt to uncover with theirs.

    ReplyDelete