Monday, May 7, 2018

Carmen Lomas Garza by Constance Cortez- Earache Treatment

     As I read through Carmen Lomas Garza by Constance Cortez, I feel an instant familial connection to the book. Many of her experiences mentioned are relatable and it even makes me feel as if I am a member of her family. It brings to mind the many childhood memories I have growing up in a Mexican household. A picture I find fascinating and can deeply relate to is Earache Treatment, 1989. I got the goose bumps as soon as I began reading Carmen Lomas Garza’s reason behind this drawing because those were my exact feelings and reactions as a 5 year old when I first saw fire in my father’s ear. She mentions how this form of remedy is used to help get rid of water trapped in her father’s ear.
 
     Although my family uses this remedy to eliminate an earache and even built up earwax, it still resonates to that of Carmen Lomas Garza’s experience. Before viewing the Earache Treatment, 1989, I though that only my family practiced this crazy remedy. But after hearing from Carmen Lomas Garza and numerous of my classmates, I now know that it is a cultural remedy that many people rely on. I have been through this treatment a couple of times and do believe that it does its magic. Overall, this drawing makes me remember the cracking noise the burning paper would make as it got closer to my ear. I also clearly remember the smell that was left behind on my hair and skin.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nataly,
    I also found this image very relatable! I particularly liked the deeper meaning suggested by the close up version of this image, that the information from the newspaper is being absorbed by the father through the burning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nataly,
    I did not get to talk about Carmen Lomas Garza but I can also relate to your reflection! Connecting to Carmen was one of my favorite things in the course. A lot of the art we saw was fascinating but relating to these hit home. Similar to you, it feels familial and like you're a member of the family because it is so relatable and welcoming. A lot of her art is family based which is why I appreciate it so much! Awesome reflection! I completely agree!

    ReplyDelete