Monday, May 7, 2018

Carmen Lomas Garza: Tamalada


When I was looking through some of Carmen Lomas Garza’s work, Tamalada stood out to me because it reminded me of my own family.  I have never actually made tamales with my own family, because my family is Jewish so the food we make together reflects our heritage.  However, the crowded kitchen with every family member doing something different to contribute to the meal (other than the man and the little girl observing from the doorway) reminds me of my family’s routine in my grandma’s kitchen to prepare for Passover or Hanukkah.  I appreciate Garza’s focus on her own memories with her family.  In Tamalada, she shows us a moment in her every day life with her family in a Mexican-American community.  I always appreciate when artists focus on the every day aspects of their lives in their own work.  The way she portrays these memories allows us to learn about her community and culture in a personal way.
Image result for carmen lomas garza tamalada

No comments:

Post a Comment