Monday, May 7, 2018

Carmen Lomas Garza - Curandera





I chose Curandera, 1977, because it stood out to me as a classic Mexican mom or Grandma thing that virtually any person of Hispanic heritage has either experienced, witnessed, or heard of. What many outside of the culture only see or hear of in movies or through the grapevine is something that is at the center of many Latino traditions, either Limpias, sanaciones, or a straight up sacando el chamuco, Curanderas are a typical go to for help in household problems. this piece, like many of Lomas Garza's works can be considered "relatable" whether it be the curandera, la tamalada, loteria, a quince, or  a very regular family get together in the back yard, many of her vibrant pieces depict moments in everyday life that virtually any viewer can connect with.

Curandera is a piece that is comical to me because its a depiction of her sister getting a limpia for having a "difficult adolescence" which i personally believe is something every adolescent has gone through, sand limpia. It definitely made me think that was the only thing left for my mom to do when I was experiencing a "difficult adolescence" or now that my sister is entering that phase. A lot of her work as, I've read other posts, has definitely given others that sense of relatableness or nostalgia which I think was part of Lomas Garza's goal through her art, making her personal experiences feel like your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment