Monday, May 7, 2018

Carmen Lomas Garza: Sandía/Watermelon

Carmen Lomas Garza is one of the most relatable individuals I have ever read about. The fact that this Chicana Artist's artwork portrays topics such as the lives and culture of Mexican Americans, makes me feel so fascinated of the many memories it brings me back to.


Although I resonated with a lot of her paintings, the one that called my attention the most was the 1986 two-dimensional painting, Sandía/Watermelon. The reason why I loved this image the most was because it has that strong depiction of familial unity and affection. The author, Constance Cortez, indicates that, "Sandía is from the Pedacito de Mi Corazón series...the image clearly refers to the sweetest part of the watermelon, it's core or 'heart'" (49). Like Cortez explains, the idea that the phrase "eras un pedacito de mi corazón" does imply a lot of affection (49). Personally, this made me think about my parents and my family. As Garza wants to portray with this image, family and culture also means a lot to me. Not only because it ties me back to my roots, but it also reflects who I am, along with my morals and values.

Similarly, this image brought me back to the many enjoyable moments with my family, in other words, "family time". Back at home, when it's time to eat we all sit at once as a family. Personally, this is my favorite part of the day because this is the place where laughs, thoughts, and smiles are shared. This is the place where we ask each other about our day, how it was, or we simply share thoughts and laughs. Which is why, the idea that everyone in the family is eating sandía  together,  invoked me that same familial feeling I now lack for being away in college. I remember whenever there would be sandias at home, it meant slicing it and everyone sitting outside to enjoy the summer breeze, along with each others' company. I love these moments because family time is quality time.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to your comment about "family time" because to me this is the best kind if time. I never understood the significance behind the watermelon, but now that you explain it, I can see how the watermelon represents the bond between a family. Who would have known that a fruit could have such meaning and value towards a family.

    ReplyDelete