Friday, May 18, 2018

Camille Rose Garcia

I will be discussing today is Camille Rose Garcia, a successful artist and author. Her mother was a muralist, and Camille helped her when she was younger. She grew up going to Disneyland and attending punk shows, which can be seen in her artwork. The type of art she does is a very distorted and twisted recreation of fairytales, and is also influenced by the bad experiences she had at the dentist. When I first saw her artwork, it stood out because it is not something you usually see in the Chicano community, since most Chicano art is about activism and the brown experience. Camille doesn’t really do that, but she uses her own experiences in her artwork. At first glance it can seem a bit scary without any context. In my opinion, she brings out the dark side of every fairytale. I don’t think she is distorting a story and completely remaking it, instead, I think it’s more of a looking glass. 

Upon researching her, her artwork involves very dark colors, usually paired with a glow in the dark effect. Her book of Alice in the Wonderland caught my attention. It was her same style of art, the warped and twisted recreation, but it caught my attention because the colors are very light and pastel, which are not usually used in this type of art. Even though this is not the type of art I look at or prefer, I have to give Camille credit for being different and standing out.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the interpretation you gave of looking at things through a "looking glass" because it’s true. It’s kind of like inputting your own perspective so that other people can be able to see your own version, on paper. I also thought that her twisted form of portraying a classic Disney tale was extremely interesting because she taking something so innocent and cute and cartoon-like and puts her own much more creepy twist to it. I started thinking about how perhaps when kids grow up they will see images like these and maybe think “this is not how I remember this story,” and its just so interesting to me to see how realistically, without a movie to match the story to, there wouldn't really be a standard image related to each tale that Camille Rose Garcia depicts. So in simpler terms, if there weren't movies or images, and we were only told the stories of these tales, any type of depiction is fair game as to what the author was truly trying to depict. Overall I really enjoyed reading your interpretations and your input on the images.

    ReplyDelete