Thursday, May 17, 2018

Presentation: Juana Alicia


Throughout the presentations so far, I found that the work by Juana Alicia stood out most to me. As someone who does not know much about art, I found that her artwork was easy to understand and complex in its own way. For instance, this mural, named "Spill/Derrame", depicts the ecological disenfranchisement that many communities of color face. As a result of the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill, Alicia decided to convey to society the damage caused by such carelessness with the environment. As you can see in the picture, Alicia has drawn a gas pump to next to the image of sculls in order to emphasize the damage caused by the oil. I particularly liked this image because it was not only very bright and colorful but also maintained its seriousness. The vibrancy of the mural draws in the attention of the public, encouraging people to take a closer look and have a deeper understanding. Personally, I like how every time I look at this image I see something new that adds to its overall quality. When I first saw this mural in class, I was drawn to the image of the scull, then took a deeper look to see what caused the destruction. As explained in lecture, Alicia felt that it was her duty as an artist to be an activist for social justice and environmental health; therefore, all of her work represents an issue she believes needs to be addressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment