Sunday, May 20, 2018

Week 7: Presentations on Carolyn Castaño

I enjoyed learning about the Colombian visual artist, Carolyn Castaño. I learned that her she challenges social and environmental issues through her art. The image that really stood out to me was Drug Lord, Lover, Confidante, 2009. It stood out to me because I enjoy watching the Netflix series, Narcos, where I learned about the story of Pablo Escobar and his relationship with Valeria Velez. I really like this painting because it displays both the artist's interest on social and environmental issues. The painting consists of many endangered plant species which show her interest in the environment. Additionally, She portrays both individuals in a very comic book character-like style which reminds me of a Bonnie and Clyde movie. The artwork really challenges the way many male-dominated narratives are passed down in history and often marginalizing and excluding women from the narrative. Therefore, the artist brings light to the women involved in significant historical events. Even though, if the history is not very pleasant.  For instance, in this art work she is showing how both Pablo Escobar and Valeria Velez were part of or connected to the narco business. In other words, Castaño wants to showcase how women often play a vital role in significant moments of history. She wants to reconfigure history by providing the whole authentic narrative through her art. To put differently, she expresses how there are two sides to every story told. Her work also reveals that these women should be acknowledged no matter the circumstances because they are significant and an important part of history. Therefore, I really admire her artworks because she showcases the untold stories of many women.

1 comment:

  1. I too really enjoyed this piece, especially because of her challenges against social and environmental issues. The idea of displaying both of these in art isn't always common, and it's interesting that I wasn't the only one to have this catch my attention.

    ReplyDelete