Thursday, February 13, 2020

Stencil Sketchbook Cover


Drawing a lot on the themes of culture, memory, and family that we have recently read about and discussed in class, I wanted to have my cover represent my childhood and my family while also being symbolic in the imagery and purpose of the item I wanted to depict. I wanted something visually appealing that would translate well into a stencil drawing and something that is a little funny and heartwarming. As I searched my memories for cultural icons, I finally settled for one that I am sure will rouse nostalgia in others as well. For my sketchbook’s stencil cover I chose to do the ICONIC San Marcos tiger cobija (blanket). The reason why I chose this is because it is a very powerful and graphic image made up of two colors, one of those colors being black, which makes my job a little bit easier when stenciling. Another reason I chose this was because I have very fond memories of using these blankets (along with Solaron Korean blankets) as a kid to bundle up in, to make forts with, to share comfort with my family. I imagine my sketchbook to be a reflection of myself, so I wanted to make my cover a blanket to keep my drawings safe and warm, the same feelings I felt when I used these blankets.


I wanted to make the stencil directly from one of my blankets from home, but I do not have a photo of it currently -- I hope I can get my family to send me a photo soon! If that does not work out, I found this online reference that closely matches the ones I have at home. The image is of two tigers prowling in nature, with some bamboo in the background. (I plan to simplify the image.) I can see myself using the images of the tigers in many ways inside my sketchbook -- I could make them really colorful with the watercolor pencils, or I could recreate childhood memories with the blankets. All in all, I’m really excited to make my stencil!


No comments:

Post a Comment