Sunday, February 9, 2020

Week 4 post

When I took Chicanx studies 188 with Profe Frias she explain rasquache art as being able to make do with what you have. We learned about the different ACTOS that were put on with the UFW movement and how they used anything they could to make their costume, even a cardboard sign with their characters name on it. So I was very surprised when I read that it was an "attitude or taste" because I was convinced it was a style. Although it is considered resourceful the message is still carried through the art. I don't understand how it is related to people, in particular the working-class people. I don't think being classified as resourceful is a bad thing and I don't really understand why it is given a negative connotation. I also think that the reason why I don't see it as negative it because my family is like this, we are from the Central Valley, meaning we are farmers. We do have coffee pots as flower pots and we do keep every scrap of metal we can find to make different chicken coops with. I was always very fascinated how quick my family was to create new things, useful things out of what others might see as trash.

I really appreciated reading the Chicana Domesticana section because it explains how chicanas struggle to be in between this feminist role and not falling into a domestic role. Chicanas use rasquache art as a tool to affirm domestic life and resist the subjugation of women in that domestic role. (95) It is difficult for women to find that grey area that allows them to be both. I find it very interesting that Chicanas use rasquache art to show "dilemmas of migration, dislocation, and the impermanence of community celebrations." (95)

No comments:

Post a Comment