Thursday, February 13, 2020

Week 6- Sketchbook Cover





For my sketchbook cover, I will be using an image that most of us know— the Lotería card of the moon, La Luna. The game of Lotería itself has a lot of significance for me because I’ve played it throughout my entire life and some of my favorite memories are of playing Lotería surrounded by a huge group of my competitive family in the heat of the game. The concept of Lotería is just a simple game of bingo, but it accomplishes much more than a game of chance. It really showcases the rich artistry in Mexican culture, while depicting a lot of quintessentially Mexican people and things that are, in their unique ways, interwoven in our customs, traditions, and components of everyday life, such as the cantaro or the maceta. I chose the luna card in particular for a number of reasons. Unlike most things on earth, the presence of the moon is consistent (even though it goes through phases). Seeing the moon in the sky at night is also a unifying force for humanity because as long as you have an unobstructed view, everyone everywhere can see it. Also, I’ve always been really fascinated and amazed by celestial things and I see a lot of beauty in the night sky. There are also a lot of cultural products that I really enjoy like the movie, Bajo la Misma Luna, or Phony Ppl’s song, Why iii Love the Moon (which gets at some of the ideas I talked about) and even King Krule’s album ‘6 Feet Beneath the Moon’. Whichever route I take to talk about the moon, it’s always something positive and pertinent to me, so I decided it would a good choice for my sketchbook cover. If I can think of something more original, I might change it, but for now, this will be my cover stencil. I’m excited to see what everyone comes up with!


No comments:

Post a Comment