Thursday, February 13, 2020

Week 6 Stencil Choice_Garduno

For my sketchbook cover, I decided to use a Sanrio Character, but I have not decided who. I was probably thinking either Hello Kitty, Chococat, Kuromi, or all of them. I have been obsessed with the Sanrio characters lately because of my partner’s little sister. She invited me to see her cute pink room filled with plush toys and adorable Sanrio characters. It was so endearing that she allowed me to see her room and introduced me to her plush toys. Out of nowhere, I have been finding cute Sanrio plushies and having my small collection. I’m so into it now because I never had the chance to be a kid who has no responsibilities and embracing my femininity. I was so concentrated in school for my entire life and obeying society rules that did not allow me to be myself. I hid my femininity because I grew up learning that being a “girl” means being weak due to media and societal construct. The Sanrio characters are almost me being in touch with my childhood and embracing the femininity that I always hid from myself. I essentially personalized my connection with the characters and they have a unique meaning to me.

 The characters are just aesthetically pleasing and cute to my eyes. They are sweet to see and have in my small bedroom shared by two other siblings. It is a collection I can call mine and embrace it through art. On this occasion, it will be adorable to have a Sario character as a cover and not take it seriously. I want to have fun at this time of my life and embrace who I am. So having fun with this project helps me be more creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment