Thursday, February 13, 2020

Week 6: Sketchbook Cover

My papel picado design is of a mariachi skeleton playing a guitar. I have always found how Latino culture views death in a more romantic or comical way where as some other cultures view it as something to not make light of. By making something so obviously latino, I find it not only a cliche but also a way to embrace my obvious musical and fun background. 


Originally, I was conflicted with my skeleton design and wanted to make a piece inspired by La Loteria, the Mexican bingo game, specifically with the  “El Borracho” character. The game itself is a reflection on my time in my first Chicano Arts class as a Latina. Seeing engaged students who are interested and excited about the topic in front of them and participate reminds me of playing Loteria. Because the game revolves around knowing basic Spanish words, it's easy for first to third generation Mexicans to participate and unite everyone together. However, I really enjoyed the mariachi skeleton  playing a guitar and wanted to use this project as a chance to make a funny piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment