Thursday, February 13, 2020

Week Six: Stencils

For my stencil, I am attempting to do a small portion of one of my favorite photos of Frida Kahlo. I want to just make a stencil of her hand holding the sugar skull. My love for art history started with my mom showing me Frida Kahlo’s paintings when I was younger and with her later painting me her own version of Sandias or Viva la Vida. Since then, Frida Kahlo has been a very important figure to me and reminds me of the strong women in my life. The affectionate hand on the skull reminds me of the love and strength the women in my family have given me. The skull itself represents connection and consciousness of life. 
Around that image I have the words “unbearably light” from one of my favorite books called The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. This book discusses the issues in dealing with a life that is inherently meaningless. After reading this book, I really began seeing things differently and opened my mind to existentialism as told by authors like Kundera, Albee, Camus, and Sartre. Although thinking in this way often scares me, it reminds me that I have control over the meaning of my own life. Also, existentialist and absurdist authors have written some of my favorite books and plays and often have a very interesting plot.
Image result for frida holding sugar skull

No comments:

Post a Comment