Monday, October 25, 2021

Godinez, Jordin (Week 5)



As I read Garza’s book, I was able to recall a lot of memories from my childhood. One of the images that stood out to me the most was (Figure 59) Barbacoa para Cumpleaños. This image hit close to home because I grew up going to parties like these. Mexican parties are always filled with lots of family, love, food, and music. The piñata in the image made me smile because I vividly remember being so excited when it was my turn to hit the piñata and I remember the little chant we would recite: “Dale, dale, dale, no pierdas el tino….”. Most of the time someone in my family would go on the roof of the house and hold the string that we attached the piñata to. My family does not incorporate el papel picado (like they did in the image); however, I have seen that it is incorporated into Mexican culture. 

In the image, we can see how important family is in Mexican culture. Gathering around at someone’s house to celebrate someone’s birthday is big in our culture. It is a time to catch up with family, enjoy some delicious food, and dance to some good music. Not to be biased, but Mexicans can throw some really good parties. 

A prominent memory this image unlocks is related to the cake. In Mexican culture, we typically push the person being celebrated into the cake, only their face of course. It can either lead to the person crying or laughing. To some, it might seem mean, but it has just become part of our culture. Although we cannot really tell what cake is in the image, tres leche cake is usually what you can find at one of these parties or una gelatina. Overall, this image makes my heart happy. I will always enjoy a party with family.


No comments:

Post a Comment