Monday, October 25, 2021

Morfin, Yessica (Week 5)





There were so many relatable pieces done by Lomas Garza, but one that called out to me the most was Sandia/Watermelon (1986). I think that one, in particular, stuck out the most because I can recall a lot of happy childhood memories. It was always a thing that whenever my parents, most often my dad, would “partir” the watermelon, they would yell “que ya está la sandia” and my siblings and I would go to the kitchen to grab a slice. Something about watermelon that would bring the house together. The same thing would happen when we’d visit family for whatever reason. My dad always liked to take a watermelon whenever we’d visit mis tíos/as. When it was time to cut it, someone would always yell that it’s ready.


The boy sitting on the steps eating a slice while having another one in his hand is something I’ve done too. And the little girl taking a slice to the grandmother is something I see in my family as well. The family together around having watermelon is very relatable to me and my family.


With Lomas Garza’s Sandia piece, it brought me joy that this experience was and is a shared experience that many people and families go through. Something so simple as watermelon is enjoyed as a family. It’s so pure and innocent, it’s watermelon, but at the same time, it’s not just watermelon. To me, the watermelon can be seen as a tool that brings the family together. For it being just a piece of fruit, it does more than satisfy a craving.

No comments:

Post a Comment