Monday, April 23, 2018

CARA Exhibit, Gaspar de Alba

After reading Chaper 3 of "out of the House, the Halo, and the Whore’s Mask: The Mirror of Malinchismo” by Alicia Gaspar de Alba, I realized how much work there still is to be done in the world of the arts in order to be more inclusive. I remembered from earlier Chicano classes that even though the Chicano movement was glorified to being the start of a revolution for Latinos here in the U.S., it still lacked the other half of its people; women.  I remember being shocked and saddened by this truth so now when I see, hear, or read about movements or important times in history like CARA, I know that no matter how progressive those people think they were, someone is always left out. Seeing that there were almost no women in the exhibit, it is clear that we as a society and community of color have some long ways to go. Hearing about how professor Gaspar de Alba fought to claim her rightful spot in the world of the arts was inspiring yet frightening at the same time. On one side it gave me hope that we can advance and be more inclusive to everyone. However, on the other hand I cannot help but think how much more fighting do we have to do to just be able to live our live? It is 2018 and some people still refuse to believe that we are an unjust society. In an area so competitive ad ignorant of women like the arts, I admire their work and bravery to express their opinions through their art work. I also greatly admire those who express their activism and the destruction of oppressive structures because like how professor received death threats and riots about her work, I am sure many other women artists experience the same as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment