Monday, April 9, 2018

Presentation: Carmen Argote


  For my presentation I have chosen to discuss LA based Chicanx artist, Carmen Argote.
Carmen Argote was born in Guadalajara, MX. and migrated to Los Angeles, CA. Argote received her Bachelor of Arts from UCLA and then  received her Masters of Fine Arts from UCLA as well. She is a multidisciplinary artist who works with an array of different mediums focused on installation and architecture. She has exhibited her work in many group and solo shows along with public art comissions. Her work has been exhibited in museums such as the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Museum of Fine Arts Houston, and many more. Carmen has been selected to be part of the Hammer museums 2018 'Made in L.A.' biennial exhibition. I decided to present Carmen Argote for my presentation because I've had the opportunity to meet with her on different occasions and feel connected to the way she sees the world around her. Through her work, Carmen Argote explores different memories and traumas that are multigenerational and inherited throughout time. I feel that my main focus as an artist is the art of healing and unraveling these different traumas and memories in order to reach a new level of liberation individually and by doing so the art may be able to help others heal. I am not sure if Argote identifies with being a Chinanx artist which presents an interesting setting for myself as an artist struggling with labels and identities.)




No comments:

Post a Comment