Monday, April 30, 2018

Yolanda M. Lopez: Who's the Illegal Alien, Pilgrim?

       
   After reading the Introduction, Chapter 1, and Chapter 2, the reader is informed of the experiences that influenced Yolanda M. Lopez to create art around the Chicanx culture. An art piece that mostly struck out to me was Who’s the Illegal Alien, Pilgrim, 1978. This art piece ridicules U.S. politics and their definition of an illegal alien. It was created for a campaign that was defending immigrant rights in San Diego. Many Chicanx community members can relate to “the angry indigenous man in the poster because he inspires resistance to imperialism and racism, not acquiescence” (Davalos, 56). Resistance is important because it allows Chicanx community members to feel welcome and accepted in a particular space. 


   I was introduced to Who’s the Illegal Alien, Pilgrim in high school, but never knew the artist or what the meaning behind the image signified. Today, I am fascinated to know who the artist is and what this drawing represents. My connection to this picture has grown now that I understand that the terms foreign, illegal, and alien are used to dehumanize one who is not of pilgrim decent. 

   All throughout my primary and secondary education, I was taught that pilgrims were the first to settle in the U.S. I questioned this statement by asking myself, "If pilgrims were the first to settle in the U.S. then that means that I am a descendant of them. But then why don't I look like them? And why do I speak Spanish?" It was not until high school where I learned about the difference between a Pilgrim, Native American, and the Indigenous. I now know that I am of Indigenous decent, not pilgrim decent. Being able to understand these differences has allowed me to connect to the image shown. The next time someone refers to me as a foreigner, illegal, or alien because of my ethnicity, I can pull this image out and ask them who was first to walk on American land?

No comments:

Post a Comment