Friday, June 8, 2018

Presentation: Favianna Rodriguez

For the second week of presentations, I chose to discuss Favianna Rodriguez. She is an admirable artivist (artist and activist). She was born in Fruitvale, CA 1978. She is of Afro-Peruvian descent. I chose this artist because I had already seen her art, I just did not know the artist's name. Rodriguez's art is commonly seen and used for modern activism for the undocumented Latinx community, particularly the butterfly featured above. Besides the fact that her art is so familiar to me, I also think it is very beautiful. She uses a lot of shapes and colors. The images are outlined with bold black lines which I think only make the colors pop a lot more since they contrast with the black lines. What I like about the shapes is that they are not just random shapes. The shapes are used to emphasize facial features on the people that she draws. For example, the nose is very prominent because even the nostril is exaggerated. Even the butterfly has the same style. The shapes used to make up the butterfly wings are also used to make the faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment