Friday, June 8, 2018

Reflection Post

Prior to the beginning of the course, I did not know what to expect from the class. I was fully aware that it was a class where we were going to dissect and critique prominent Chicana/Latina artists within the community, but that was as far as I knew or at least had anticipated. Chicana Art and Artists M175 was not only my first class with a particular focus on Chicanas/Latinas, but it was also a proper introduction to art―a domain that I had no knowledge in. Fast-forward to the end of the quarter, I can now confidently and proudly say that I gained knowledge in the field of Chicana/Latina art. The course was a humbling experience, as I learned about two important things in particular. First, art is a vehicle through which one can contextualize, historicize, and politicize. Art is a medium that allows for the freedom of expression, while simultaneously also serving as a statement to society. Second, I learned about the importance of contesting the status quo through the reimagination of art. The latter paves the way for the dismantling of the stigmatizations that target Chicana/Latina women. Cultural expression through art forms serves as a catalyst for not only the amplification of identity, but also the expansion of horizons within the artistic domain.
Overall, the course was a learning experience like no other. Personally, I tip my hat to Professor Alma Lopez for always being so encouraging through the process. As one of my peers pointed out, the class gave one the leverage to fail and grow at the same time. The course also provided a better understanding of my role as an ally to Latina and Chicana framework and propositions. The dismantling of preconceived notions regarding women is a matter that concerns community efforts. In doing so, Latina and Chicana women are able to extend feminist visions, create new identities, and, most importantly, achieve liberation from societal expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment