Friday, June 8, 2018

Reflection Post

Coming into this class at the start of the quarter was really exciting and a bit daunting because an esteemed friend of mine had told me that Alma Lopez's artistic practice was her introduction to Chicanx arts and had an immense impact on her. Hearing my friend describe the resonance and mark that Alma Lopez had on her reinforced some sort of humility inside of myself for being able to study in an institution with such impactful artists teaching. As a transfer, I was thrown for a loop going into art classes at UCLA where the teachers really set the tone for what the learning environment and atmosphere between the students would be. I was thrown for a loop when some teachers set a tone for extreme competition and aggression, which can be extremely disappointing and difficult to navigate. This class was a complete refreshment from other art classes because Alma Lopez set an atmosphere of acceptance and was really welcoming to all students without bias. I know that the rest of the students can agree when I say that the learning environment in this classroom was over all generative and encouraging. I think the best thing a teacher can give any student is encouragement and that is exactly what my experience was especially regarding the sketchbook assignment. I feel that drawing can be difficult for people in all skill levels simply because it requires a lot of patience and commitment and implementing the sketchbook and having us draw during the lectures (which is something many students get in trouble for) allowed for students to just try it even if they weren't necessarily good starting out. It allowed for me to recognize that muscle  between my own hand and my eye that the professor mentioned and to recognize the growth that comes from dedication.
Thank you to all in the class for sharing their sketchbooks and their artists. Thank you to Alma Lopez for being a thoughtful, sincere, and ultimately loving educator.

No comments:

Post a Comment