Monday, February 10, 2020

2020Hernandez,Jennifer

 

  
The guest speaker that came in Ofelia Esparza, really inspired me with the way she talked about not being able to meet her great great grandmother. It was amazing to me that she was an influencer of the famously iconic movie “Coco”. I was very emotional in just hearing what she had to say about her life. She caught my ear when she told the class about how her life has changed the way she expresses herself through artwork. She is inspiring to me because I want to make a change in the way I live my life now. 
When I started to think about what she said about her great great grandmother and the way she was raised with the ofrenda, I realized that we shared a similar upbringing. My abuelita and all my family members strongly believe in the “Dia De Los Muertos” holiday which is what the movie “Coco” was based on. 
          What really got to me was that my grandmother passed away on November 11, 2017. The movie came out just a few days later in November of 2017. This movie made me cry because I knew what she had taught me in my life and she had somehow come back to let me know she would always be there for me and my family. 
          Now a little more than 2 years since her passing, I feel like again, she is letting me know that she is still here. This class has been based on art but somehow the memories of all the chicana/o/x artists bring me so many memories of my abuelita.

No comments:

Post a Comment