Friday, February 21, 2020

Leticia Huerta

The artist I chose to present on is Leticia Huerta. Her name caught my attention because my grandmother's last name is Huerta and she refused to change it to my grandpa's last name and I always thought that was very powerful, so before I even knew what her art was I knew I wanted to present on her. Leticia Huerta was born in Texas and she graduated with a masters in painting at the Southern Methodist University. She has art in Houston, San Antonio, and Phoenix. She specializes in public art and tailors the art to the community that she's doing it for. Some of her work includes bridges, parks, public buildings, and  transportation areas like bus stops. She uses tile, glass, metal, and concrete to create her artwork. I have always appreciated public art because I spend a lot of time commuting and I've always been intrigued by the detail and the skill in making art with nontraditional items. One of her projects that I really enjoyed was the University Hospital Trauma Center Project in San Antonio, Texas, it includes stained walkways, a healing garden and different sculptures that leads into the new trauma center. The reason why I enjoyed this so much was because it reminded me of peace and families of patients need a safe space to think while they are there. Her art around public transportation is inspired by local history.


No comments:

Post a Comment