Monday, February 10, 2020

Week 5 Carmen Lomas Garza_GArduno

                                      Sandia / Watermelon1986, gouache on cotton paper, 20 x 28 inches. 

This is one of my favorite art pieces done by Carmen Lomas Garza. The painting Sandia/Watermelon is the definition of what a Chicanx/Latinx family represents in a transborder perspective. A family is an essential tool for unity and progressiveness among the Chicanos living in a white hegemonic society.  I am a first-generation Chicanx student who grew up in Southeast Los Angeles, a highly populated Latinx community. I appreciate my city and my immediate family because I feel home and safe when I’m with them. They have supported me and helped me through the challenges I have to face. This art piece shows the culture and the love shared by everyone. 
The focus of the art piece is the Sandia, it is so bright and it is placed in the center of the painting. The Sandia is being cut by the father and he is giving it to the young generation. I see a kid sharing a piece with their Abuelita. And the kids are enjoying the night with their piece of sandia at their house. It is so beautiful how outside is being lit by the moon and the house is bright yellow representing the colorful life in the Latinx culture. The sandia means a pedacito del Corazon which highlights how the family shares their love through food.  




No comments:

Post a Comment