Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Week 8: Presentation on Monica Kim Garza


The artist that resonated with me the most from the Week 7 presentations was Monica Kim Garza. Her work focuses on female figures shamelessly engaging in friendship and sex and life. Her paintings are striking, not because of the nude figures but because of the beautiful color palettes and the powerful imagery she uses.

After seeing the presentation I looked at Garza's work for a long time because the pieces have such great energy. Her work is so inspiring from both a visual and sociopolitical standpoint. All of her work equates the female form to freedom and agency. It's also powerful to see a Korean and Mexican immigrant able to celebrate her identity in her art. I picked the painting below from her Leisure Time series because I think it incorporates my favorite elements of her art into one piece: vivid imagery, colors, and feminine unity.

Image result for Monica Kim Garza

No comments:

Post a Comment