Sunday, February 23, 2020

Yolanda Lopez- W3


Yolanda Lopez’s artwork is very interesting and can be very difficult to wrap around for it really separates Lopez's understanding of her world and the religion she grew up with. As someone who has to analyze her artwork from a subjective perspective it was hard to see such an iconic and religious figure be portrayed in any other way than her respected self. Though seeing some of the images was quite difficult the important thing for me in really being okay with these images was having an open mindset. As time went on, I was really able to enjoy the art and now I’ve developed an appreciation for what the images stand for. “Our Lady of Guadalupe, 1978 is the image that stood out to me from Yolanda's artwork. This image captures a moment in time that allowed Yolanda to understand the value of being a Chicana women. This image is depicting Yolanda’s mother as the Lady of Guadalupe who is sowing her vale with all her stars while the angle is sitting on her left lower hand side. Though women lacked a voice in the Chicano movement as a result of male dormancy and implied female gender roles, the images still emphasize the importance of women in the workforce as they contributed to the society as a whole. Growing up in a Mexican- American household for the majority of my childhood I was able to witness my mother work tremendously hard in order to provide for the family. This was so important to me because it shaped me into who I am now. The concept of the Virgin Mary is essentially the maternal protective figure of Mexican put specifically Catholics and in that same perspective, our own birth mother has taken on that same role. W

No comments:

Post a Comment