Sunday, March 8, 2020

week 10 class reflection

Reflecting back on this class, I realize how much of a positive experience it was, not just to be in a room that reflected my wanting for chicano history, but to be in a classroom with people who share similar experiences and culture with me. Being a transfer student at UCLA and having been through a few quarters I’ve constantly felt like an outsider both educationally (being a transfer) but also racially. Knowing that I’m not alone really pushed me to do my best this quarter and gave me a positive outlook on the rest of my experience here on this campus. I also enjoyed doing art in the class too, I came in expecting to learn just on Chicana art, not actually partake in art but I’m glad we did. The last time I did art in a classroom setting was highschool and before that elementary school and I’m surprised how much I’ve learned about shading, drawing, and the patience it takes in creating art. I really enjoyed creating the stencils. It was probably the most time consuming assignment of the class but the most rewarding in my opinion when we spray painted it onto our sketchbook covers I really felt like it had its own character. I'm planning on giving my sketchbook to my mom on her birthday, she's collected everything i've done since kindergarten from finger paints to popsicle stick christmas ornaments and I think she'll enjoy this sketchbook in her collection; I cant wait til we're both old looking back on all of it. I also really enjoyed reading about artists like Carmen Lomas Garza and learning of all the prominent professor artists here teaching us on campus, for that I’m grateful. I’m happy I decided to take this class and I’m looking forward to taking more Chicano classes in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment